A look back . . .

Well, here I am world.

This past week has been spring break and I've taken the time to rest after a long and stressful year of teaching. Don't get me wrong though, it has still been an awarding one.

After much consideration and deliberation, I decided to self-publish my first novel, The Timekeeper's Daughter. I truly hope that anyone reading this will take the time to check out the book. It is currently listed for sale on Amazon as an ebook and a hardcover by clicking here.

I wanted to take the time to look back on my journey from conception to now. I first came up with the idea for The Timekeeper's Daughter in December of 2012; this was during my sophomore year of college. I didn't begin drafting the novel until January 2013. Early drafts of the novel are significantly different from the final product.

I remember working on the novel and realizing that this was the first time that a story idea that I had was coming out full-force on the page. Previous writing attempts, as far as long works of fiction go, often didn't make it past a 5,000 word count or so. But by spring break that year, I had around 30,000 words or so written and I knew by then that I was going to finish this one.

When it comes to writing for me, I'm all over the place. I don't really like to outline anything. I try to sit down and do it, but I just get frustrated and end up going straight to writing. I thought this was the wrong way to go about things until I met other writers and even a published author, only to find out that every writer has a different way of doing things. My way, while it may seem completely over-the-top for some or just downright confusing for others, is to usually write the beginning and end and fill in the rest as I go. So, that is how the book came to fruition. I had the ending; I had the beginning.

After a couple months though, things slowed down and I stopped for a while. I wasn't quite sure where I was going with some things. I didn't quite know how I wanted to build this world of the timekeepers. And then, in July 2013, my step-grandmother passed away in a car accident. While I usually just referred to her as Paula, she was my step-grandmother, and really at the end of the day, she was my grandmother. She was always in my life from day one, so that is how I looked at her. Because of our relationship, I've never considered blood to be what makes someone family. What makes a person family is simply love and a desire to be in that person's life.

As I mentioned in my dedication and acknowledgments of the book, Paula had a profound impact on my writing. I remember the last time I ever spoke to her and I will never forget it. It was about the book I was writing and I how I was having trouble finishing it. I don't remember exactly what was said, but I specifically remember her telling me I needed to finish it so that she could read it. She died before it was done.

Before her death, I had already planned a trip to visit my other grandparents in Colorado. My parents urged me to still go, so I did. During my time there, I continued writing after a long period of not doing anything with my book. I strengthened the relationship between my main character and her adopted mother and I began to write Paula into my book. Abigail's adopted mother now had a huge garden in her backyard, similar to Paula. She began to look like Paula as well. I know people often say not to write parts of your life in your story, but how else would stories take off and become something?

It took a while for me to finish the book still. I can honestly say that I had the first draft from beginning to end the following summer of 2014. After that, I can say that my book was 100% done in March of 2017.

Since finishing it completely about a year ago, I have spent time sending out queries to literary agents in hope that someone would want to take on this story. I mostly received formal rejections, meaning that they probably didn't even look at the sample work I submitted. I understand how difficult publishing is and I totally get it. Honestly, I probably could have spent another year attempting to find an agent again. It took a friend of mine almost a year to get an agent, and then her first book was never even published.

I think that's why I went ahead and made the decision to self-publish though. I will, of course, attempt to get future books not related to this trilogy I am writing published in the traditional sense. But I needed to get my story out in the world now. It means something to me. It means something so much more than just a book that needs to be published. I want people to read it and go on the journey that I went on as I wrote it.

So, this is my first post. I hope that you check out my book and please give me honest feedback. You can write a review on my book's page at Goodreads (click here) and you can also write a review on Amazon. I hope that you'll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing. It is sad and upsetting at times; I mean it does take place during WWII after all. However, I also think it is uplifting and positive when it needs to be. So, please let me know what you think and check back for future posts!

Comments

Popular Posts